Sunday 3 March 2013

Storytelling Sunday: Pick Your Precious|Tree Of Life


First Sunday in the month? It is time for Storytelling Sunday hosted by Sian over at High In The Sky. Everyone is welcome with short or long stories, photos, layouts or simply words. Always such good stories and blogs to find and spend time reading. Sian has suggested that we pick our precious things to tell stories about this year which is a wonderful idea and I am enjoying having the layouts in my album.
My Granny again this month, last month I shared her crochet hooks that I have and the crochet I managed. I have been practicing and dreaming of the lovely things I will hopefully be able to make. I am currently having a ham-fisted attempt at a daffodil for an easter wreath from a lovely tutorial from Lucy at Attic 24.
So this month I wanted to show you the embroidery she made me for my thirteenth birthday. I remember going to Okehampton to see her on my birthday and standing in her room as she gave it to me, it was wrapped in brown paper and I was so excited. I just loved it then and I just love it now. The only place I have slept for any length of time without it was when I was at sea.
I always see something different even though I think I know it off by heart. I do always remember the owl and the blue birds.
 I am away on our annual scrapbooking retreat and I remembered to bring the photos and had a lovely afternoon catching up on all the news and scrapping them. 
I especially enjoyed tucking into the new (to me) paper lines from Dear Lizzy, Amy Tangerine and Maggie Holmes :D
And the lovely Karen is cooking Roast Sunday Lunch, insists she doesn't want any help so I might just go and have a read of some stories :)
Happy Storytelling Sunday everyone.












22 comments:

  1. Oh, how absolutely lovely! I really enjoyed the picture you conjured up of the present lovingly made and wrapped up in brown paper..such a wonderful memory to have..and you have recorded it so nicely with that page. Aren't those bluebirds something? Enjoy the rest of your weekend and thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much fun you must be having! The embroidery is just lovely, as are your pages recalling it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is such a gorgeous work of art and you have framed it so beautifully with your story

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous pages you have made for these most precious of things. How lovely that your granny just knew you would love them so much. Those new scrapbooking collections suit the embroideries so well.
    I bet you are all having such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love the fact that she embroidered for you and that you scrapbooked her pieces. There is so much love being shared in your ways of creating! Long live this tradition!
    Cheers from France

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennie, what a beautiful keepsake and talented granny! Loving your story... I can see why you always have it hung on your wall. I have also been on a retreat this weekend, what a shame it wasn't the same one! Hope you had a wonderful time x

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow the embroidered picture is wonderful.I suspect you will always enjoy the piece too. How you have recorded this story is equally as beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a beautiful story and I loved the embroidery. You see, my mother did wonderful embroidery and whenever I look at the pieces she gave me, I think of her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how lovely - both the gift and the way it has been cherished. Glad you scrapbooked it and hope you enjoyed the stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the story and the layouts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its always nice to have little reminders of your childhood,Love the story behind the pages!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful piece of embroidery - and truly wonderful memories to go with it. Loved your story - hope the weekend retreat was amazing. Thanks for sharing. J x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful precious this embroidery is x
    Love your Lo of it & hope you had a fab weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh her embroidery is fabulous - and you've scrapped it so sweetly. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like lots of people were retreating this weekend! Hope you had fun too! This embroidery is absolutely stunning and how wonderful that you appreciated it at the time too. Gorgeous layout does it proud of course.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a stunning peice of embroidery - I'm so glad you were able to share it with us this month ... enjoy that roast dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful piece of embroidery! Thank you for sharing it with us. I really like your layout too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful embroidery ~ lovely page ~ fab story :)
    Glad to have been able to oblige re. the Sunday lunch xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. how lucky you are to own such a beautiful and timeless piece of work. It's gorgeous and I am very envious! And a lovely memory of how you received it too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a stunning piece of embroidery and I'm not surprised that it's so precious to you x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm back because I was catching up on emails and realised how much I wanted to thank you for your comment about my blog last week. Thank you! It meant a lot

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a FAB present from your Gran. It is absolutely beautiful and I would sit and stare at it for hours if it were mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you lovely, you have made me smile =)